The entire selection of N64 roms have been tested and the best plugin has been selected for each rom. Most of them are from the latest no-intro set. I also tested other versions (us, hack, etc…) and all those that do not start, are not playable, or have major graphics bugs have been removed.
By default we used the GlideN64 plugin which gives very good results in most games. Recalbox uses N64 for its default. All games are assigned to the best plugin: GlideN64 (Default), Rice, N64 or Glupen (Libretro), in the gamelist.xml file. If you are having trouble with some games, it may be necessary to test with other plugins (such as Rice, N64 or very rarely Glupen under Libretro). Refer to the game list at the end of this file or the excel file (linked below). You can change the plugin for each game by pressing select in the gamelist (while in recalbox) and changing the emulator and / or core before saving.
Warning !!! : If you are re-scrapping (from UXS for example), you will lose all the plugin presets by generating a new gamelist.xml. You can re-integrate them either by editing your new gamelist.xml and copying the following tags into the corresponding games (after the <path> tag), or from the recalbox menu.
The easiest way is to do it is by classifying the roms by the plugins used in the excel file.
Additional Note: In order to obtain the best results and have the maximum amount of games playable, overclocking is necessary. If you do not want to go into file and edit it there, the 1375Mhz Recalbox Extreme preset is already a good choice.
It is possible to go further in the settings and change some parameters in /boot/config.txt (configuration below). These changes, as well as the parameters are to be used at your own risk. A well ventilated and cooled case is more than recommended. Tests with Raspberry Pi case CQRobot Acrylic Case With Fan Kit for Raspberry Pi 2B / P 3, and replaced by fan Noctua NF-A4X10 FLX-5V.
A / Installation of the roms (if you have just download the set)
1 – Make a backup of your n64 set located in /recalbox/share/roms (if you want to)
2 – Transfer the entire n64 folder to the roms folder
3 – Restart Recalbox
4 – Once started, you must set the default emulator and core:
– Start button (Menu)/Advanced settings/Advanced emulator configuration/Nintendo64/
– Choose for the emulator: Mupen64Plus and for the core: Gliden64
– Put Rewind off (preferable) and you can leave the smoothing games (optional)
– Close and restart
– You can check that the emulator / core settings have been taken into account by opening the recalbox.conf file.
B / Advanced configuration, overclocking
Before applying these settings make sure you have the necessary knowledge to reinstall a functional configuration in case of a crash when starting your pi. It is necessary to have access to the boot partition of the sd card since from your pc or your mac (via extfs for example)
The overclocking possibilities of the raspberry pi are very variable from one model to another. It is therefore quite possible that you can not get a stable configuration with these settings.
It is also important to have a good power supply (5V 3A)
If you are sure of yourself:
1 – Make a backup of the following files by connecting with ssh (in case):
2 – In the Recalbox interface, modify the following parameters:
– Start button / Advanced settings / Overclock /
– Start with High (1300Mhz) – Restart
– If your configuration is stable, repeat step 2 with the higher setting: Turbo (1350 Mhz) and if it is stable, Extrem (1375 Mhz)
3 – If you want to customize overclocking settings:
– Start by authorizing the writing of this file by sending the command:
mount -o remount,rw /boot
– Edit the file config.txt (location above) with your usual editor (notepad ++, SublimeText, Atom ….)
– At the very end of the file you will see overclocking parameters #overclock: paste or copy one of the following two settings: Custom config 1: parameters used for the tests. It is possible to go further by using the parameters Custon config 2). Keep in mind that you may need to adjust each parameter at your own risk:
Custom config 1 (parameters used for testing)
Custom config 2 (Overclocking to the maximum stable on my configuration, without using the turbo mode which removes the guarantee) – to use with caution !!!
– Save your changes, and restart recalbox
Brought to you by NonoTheGeek